Larry Collett, President and CEO of netGALAXY Studios
Larry Collett is responsible for netGALAXY Studios’ overall strategy and operations. Collett started netGALAXY Studios as a web design company in 1996 out of his home office in Hilton Head, South Carolina while working for a retail chain. As business continued to increase, Collett expanded to web hosting and application development with clients such as Ford and the United States Air Force?
Collett, after a few years moved to Charleston, South Carolina in November 2003 with a short stop in Charlotte, North Carolina. He quickly began working for the Evening Post Publishing Company (The Post and Courier) as the Web Production Manager and helped start Charleston.net which was in its infancy with less than 30 – 50 pages (site archive: http://bit.ly/bFBUOx). After pulling the site development in-house from a third-party development firm and creating an Internet division for the Post and Courier, Charleston.net quickly became the largest news and information web site in the Lowcountry.
After 4+ years at the helm of Charleston.net, Collett was recruited by Media General, Inc. to be the Interactive Media Director for WCBD-TV 2 (www.counton2.com), an NBC affiliate located at the foot of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. Collett, after spending 3 months creating a strategic plan, launched a new CountOn2.com in January 2007 with less than 23,000 unique visitors per month. Last place in the market for media web sites, Counton2.com quickly became the number two web site behind his previous web site, Charleston.net. Focused on growing audience reach, Collett utilized the same techniques used to make Charleston.net number one in the market at WCBD-TV 2 by delivering what the audience wanted, “If you do not deliver the information that your audience wants, they will go somewhere else to get it”, says Collett.
Collett, growing in the ranks within the company, quickly became the Regional Interactive Media Director for the NBC affiliate web sites in Charleston, South Carolina (WCBD-TV 2) and Savannah, Georgia (WSAV-TV 3) before advancing to the Regional Interactive Sales Manager position in the final months of his tenure with Media General, Inc..
In late 2008, Collett introduced Social Media to the station and it quickly became the standard for Media General, Inc. in all their broadcast and newspaper markets. “By utilizing Social Media technology, we were able to increase our audience in 2009 by over 1 million plus unique visitors to over 2 million plus unique visitors”, Collett explains.
Deciding in 2010 that it was time to focus his attention full time to his number one passion, netGALAXY Studios, Collett left Media General, Inc. in July 2010 to manage the day-to-day operations of netGALAXY Studios.
Outside of netGALAXY Studios, Collett is a licensed Realtor® at Carolina One Real Estate located at 49 Broad Street in downtown Charleston, South Carolina. Committed to community, Collett is actively involved in the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce as a Vice-Chair for the Total Resource Campaign for the last 5+ years. In addition to the Chamber, it is not uncommon to see Mr. Collett involved with an organization or non-profit in the area; look for his updates via his social media tweets or updates.
Awards and Accolades
- 2005 :: Larry Fulton Spirit Award – Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Total Resource Campaign
- 2005 :: Top Team Solar Power Division Budget Reduction – Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Total Resource Campaign
- 2008 :: Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Excellence – Website, Region 8 – RTNDA
- 2008 :: Real Results Award – Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Total Resource Campaign
- 2008 :: Top Team Real Action Division Budget Reduction – Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Total Resource Campaign
- 2009 :: Top Team Progress Division Budget Reduction – Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Total Resource Campaign
- 2010 :: Top Team Innovation Division Budget Reduction – Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Total Resource Campaign
- 2012 :: Small Business Council – Committee member for the Small Business Council for 2012 and 2013
- 2012 :: Innovation Committee – Co-Chair for the Innovation Committee for 2012 and 2013
- 2012 :: Speaker – College of Charleston
- 2012 :: On-Air Technology Expert – WMBF NBC News Myrtle Beach, SC
- 2013 :: Board of Directors Member – Selected to serve for the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce for 2 years.
- 2013 :: Entrepreneurial Council – Committee member for the Entrepreneurial Council for 2012 and 2013
- 2013 :: Instructor – Charleston Digital Corridor | Charleston Code Camp